BIKE RACING AROUND THE WORLD

Saturday, December 7, 2013

I Cleaned the Ascent on Cougar Canyon Trail


Normally, I would not write a Blog about a mountain bike ride but today was pretty special.  When you go out solo on something challenging, it can become one of those 'mano y mano' experiences.  Today, it was just me against the mountain….actually the Tortolita Mountains.  There was only one of me but several of them.


About 4 miles from our house, I left the pavement on Como Drive at the base of a climb that would end up being about 800 vertical feet.  Hey,  Cougar Canyon (CC) is really not even a trail but a road….well sort of a road.   So, why I am so jazzed about climbing 800 feet on a road.   Well,  CC was only ever a dirt/gravel road.  A few feet up the road from the pavement, all improvements stopped, maybe about 53 years ago?   It is the worst you can imagine……rutted, gravel, big rocks, ledges, big rocks, sand, big rocks, ledges, sand and some baby heads.   Did I mention the big rocks and ledges?

At one point I went through a gate.   It was held shut by a piece of very tight wire.  As I tried to resecure the gate, the wire slipped off and I hit myself in the chin…..oh yea!!  BLOOD.

After the gate, it gets really fun.  I took one wrong turn that lead me toward the Ritz Dove Mountain.  The road was great fun but after about 5-7 minutes, I encountered a big 'No Trespassing' sign and I turned around.

Finally after a serious set of 3 ledges (each about 9-12 inches high) and more loose sand, I got to the top which is marked by an old inoperative windmill.

Once at the top, I was rewarded with about 8 miles of sweet single track….mostly downhill.   The trail is very technical but gets easier and faster as the mountain gives way to the desert.  Kind of made me giggle.

In all, it was about a 2.5 hour tour.  I returned home as daylight faded and a serious chill set in.   I came in the house with a smile….ear to ear.  Mountain biking is a lot of things and today it was about challenge and discovery for me.   The solo aspect:  I ride 6 days a week and mostly with others.   My solo times are special……..try it if haven't, you might like it?

No comments:

Post a Comment