BIKE RACING AROUND THE WORLD

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Bottom Rung

When I was 9 years old, I went to Little League try outs and I made the majors.   This meant I would be in full uniform playing the next 4 years for Elgin Butler Brick.  I would be playing in a league largely dominated by 11 and 12 year olds.  I was starter that year but I was about the 9th best kid on the team.  That changed tremendously by the time I was 12.

I have a lot of these stories…….that is about being the last rung on the ladder.   I played serious softball in Texas in my 30's and I was 10th best guy when we hit the field.

Playing with better people makes me better, I came to learn a long time ago.   It is also tough on the ego.

When we started the Headstrong Team several years ago, both Christina and I were nearly the weakest riders.  For 2 years, we worked and learned.  We trained.   It hurt physically, being the last person up the hill.   Everyone was at a moderate pace while we were nearly full gas.  We got better and better.   There is an old saying, " If it doesn't kill ya, it'll make ya better!"

By year 3, we both graduated and in year 4, we were dishing out some pain vs. always taking it.

Well, the planning is on for 2015, already.   C and I are going to what is a 'dream team' for us.  Thirteen of the Masters from Modry are moving to Carolina Cycling.  Modry has been great but this will create one of the top Masters/Womens teams in the southeast.  It is a great bunch of people, also.  I will be the oldest person on the team………no surprise.   I am close to the oldest person in the world!   Here is the kicker.   I will likely be the weakest rider on the team…….hum……."Play it again, Sam."  No where to go but up!

My world view is that equilibrium is never maintained for longer than moments……..one is either getting better or getting worse, at anything whether athletic, business or personal.   If you agree with my world view, it stands to reason that getting better is usually better than getting worse.

Whether at work, in a sports team, a running group, a book club, take stock of your associates.    If you want to get better, try joining a team of people who are mostly better than you are…….smarter, faster, stronger.   You WILL either die or get better………….and you WILL NOT
die.

Given the alternative, I will always take trying to keep up on a great team over being a lead dog on a mediocre one.  But, that's just me!

I am thrilled to have the opportunity to get better in 2015 and spend a lot of time with some great people.  I am thrilled to wear the red and white of Carolina Cycling Team next year.

See ya out there.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment