BIKE RACING AROUND THE WORLD

Thursday, November 21, 2013

RIDING WITH PRO'S

Cycling is interesting in several aspects.   One interesting aspect is access to Pro Racers.  I don't know any other sport where guys like me have this access.   It is not just talking to them, I mean actually riding with them.

You see, I never really went out and casually played a round of golf with someone on the pro tour.  In the past years, I have ridden with George Hincapie, Craig Lewis, Chris Butler and several of their friends who were visiting.

Today in AZ, I was out again with 3 guys from the Foundation Pro Cycling Team from NYC.   Today reminded me what it is like and there are things that never change:

*  They average 18-19 mph for hours…….this means most of the ride is 20+.
*  The pace does not slow going up a very long 2-3% grade.
*  Their Z1 is my Z2 and their Z2 is my Z3….even if I am in great shape.
*  I should never pull.
*  They have unbelievable handling skills.
*  They can text, talk on phone, eat and take off a jacket all at the same time.
*  They can do the above going 20 mph.
*  They can talk at any speed.
*  They are gracious and considerate.
*  They have nothing to prove in terms of their ability (like many amateurs).
*  The whole experience is a lot of fun.

My thanks to Lisbon, Abraham and Alejandro for a great day…….and oh, my team mate, Teenie,  who joined and rode great.  

Teenie and I doing this ride was not only like playing golf with……..say Phil Mickelson (well maybe somebody a little less known?).   It was like playing with him and us both carding a 74 or
75.  

No comments:

Post a Comment