BIKE RACING AROUND THE WORLD

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pinning on a Number

My Dad started teaching me to compete shortly after I started walking.  He did this by competing with me in every kind of game and sport you can imagine.   I spoke about this at his memorial service.  We even competed when fished together….the biggest and the most.  I learned how to handle losing as I was about 13 before I ever beat him at anything (ping pong).

Even before Christina and I formalized our Maddog 83 team contract (got married), we were doing 10K's.    She had not done much competing in sports prior but she got right into it.

It really wasn't until I chose some mentors, as an adult, that I learned to collaborate.  Playing win/win was a different notion for me at that time.  This 'new' paradigm was life changing and in ensuing years, we built partnerships that are still successful today.   Some of these partnerships, like the Starship Enterprise, took us where no man had been.

My embracing collaboration, never meant giving up competition.   However, over the years, my perception of it has changed.   I have fully accepted and promoted failure in recent years, believing you never know your limits if you don't go to failure.   I also came to understand that competition is not about winning over others.   It is about surpassing one's perceived limits.   The only person, I try to compete against these days, is myself.   This idea is not mine.  I have been lucky enough to be around some world class athletes in their prime, who imparted this to me.

I took criticism last year for being too intense.   Competition brings this intensity out in me and I don't think that is a bad thing.   It is intensity and focus that have landed me where I am……. a place I like a lot.   The focus I learned in competition, allows me to zone on being the husband, friend, father and grandfather I want to be.

You won't find me aimless riding around in the country or in life (so to speak).  I like purpose.  There are, however, times that competition should be set aside.   You won't see me half wheeling the guy beside me on the front of a two man pace line,  attacking to be first up every hill in an endurance ride, or hammering a recovery ride.  I try to save these testosterone events for the times I have a number on my back.

I hope I never live a day that I don't have goals.   Maybe someday it won't be a race, but don't hold your breath.   This old body has still got a few laps in it and I plan to put a lot more numbers on this wall.   I have a pretty darn intense team mate who is going to put her share up there, as well.

See ya out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment