BIKE RACING AROUND THE WORLD

Friday, February 28, 2014

Tucson Bicycle Classic Prep & Hope

We went to the RR Course yesterday and rode the race distance of 2 laps and 40 miles.  Some people are asking why the heck we do this?   This is our third year in the race?   And, we have ridden it every year prior to the race.  WE KNOW THE COURSE.

The main reason for going yesterday was to put in a 'race effort' and that we did.   Christina had a real break thru day from a mental standpoint.   She might have had her best day ever on a bike but the most important thing was her mental tenacity.   She made acceleration after acceleration.

Our past coach, Joe Friel, states clearly: The best preparation when a race is nearing is training and racing that looks just like the race.   That is what yesterday was all about.

Oh sure, we checked out all the holes and gravel.   We confirmed where the 'selections' might occur.  We orientated ourselves to the likely wind conditions.

After, we had lunch with the great folks with which we rode…..the people that challenged us.

I heard how Reg is going to ride away from us in a solo break as we are defenseless against his power.   The guy is GREAT.  He is a helluva a lot better than me but come on…..doesn't someone have a chance?   I mean he is human.  He had a heart attack last year, he has been suffering from asthma issues, he went skiing two weeks ago, went to see grandkids last week, and he has only one TT under his belt this year.

Doesn't someone in the peleton have a chance?

With the prospects of the 3-4 of us (who train together some) riding alone and Reg having some team mates, I suggested we could ride as team with strategy and a plan……that went no where.   The response was that Reg was just going to ride away in the hills on the second lap.  I left wondering why anybody was forking up the $85 and racing?

I have been beaten about 25 consecutive times by David LeDuc but every time, including the last time, I went out thinking that THIS would be my day.

I guess I am still thinking, "This will be my day."  I just hope to heck that Reg can/will race.   It won't be the same without him.   If he is not there, somebody else will win.   Of course, all these guys will put an asterisk by it to denote that Reg was not there…….degrading the accomplishment.

Almost every community has a 'Reg' in almost every sport.   I have played everything under the sun and never achieved anything close to 'Reg Status' in anything.   I wish I could but I am just one of those guys struggling to be competitive.   If you flip a coin enough times, it is said it will land on the edge, neither heads nor tales.   I am going to keep going out there, preparing my best and racing my best……..maybe the coin will come up on it's edge someday?

By the way, the rolling time for full race course was 2:08 yesterday with Christina taking pulls and working her little 'you know what' off.   Last year the time for Women's Master's Race was 2:12.   I think she had enough in the tanks to go much faster yesterday……….look out.   Look out for newly found 30 sec to 3 minute power output.  There is definitely 'break away' strength being built……of course, she has to bring it to race day.  Hopefully, her Reg, Martha Stedman will race………or maybe Christina is a 'Reg'?  She is in my book, anyway.

SEE YA OUT THERE.



1 comment:

  1. Okay, I'm willing to listen Randall. What would be our plan? Can we get Roy, Rick and perhaps a couple more to join us ....? Could make it interesting .... let's talk about it .. .perhaps tomorrow. (I don't have any of the profiles, so I had to select anonymous). Doug

    ReplyDelete