BIKE RACING AROUND THE WORLD

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Preparation Preparation Preparation

WHY SHOULD YOU READ THIS?  No matter your endeavor, preparation is a key to success!

We have the terrific Tucson Bicycle Classic ( TBC ), a 3 day stage race, coming up soon.   The TBC is one of the top races in the southwest and is used by many to tune up for Redlands, which follows.

We like the race and have made it an A race for both of us this year.  Last year, Christina set this priority on it and won all 3 stages and GC.   A great accomplishment.   This year she may be back in Women' Masters, defending her title, or in Cat 3……she is now undecided.   Last year, the Women's Masters field had many strong out of towners as well as strong local riders……hopefully that will be the case again.

I will be making my first real effort for results as I used it for training last year.   I am moving into the 65+ Cat but that gives me very little breathing room.   There about 10 guys out here that are as as good or better than me……4-5 that I have never beaten.   The field will likely be rounded out with some 'out of town' guys………folks usually do not travel long distances without being competitive.

The ITT is the first event and very important in a Stage Race, in which total time is scored.   Last year, C did 10:16 but really needs to improve to mid 9's to be competitive in Cat 3.   I had a terrible run last year at 9:46 and I need to be under 9.   Of course conditions can change times drastically.

Today we went for the first of 3 scheduled practice runs.   I have these sandwiched between hard training days.  We warmed up, did one easy run, went hard for a run and cooled down……little over one hour.  The course is half downhill and then half uphill.

She did 10:07 and I did 9:07  (click for my ride in Strava)   Conditions were perfect, even though we were far from throwing down top race efforts to get these PR's.

I did 4 things differently:

*  Rode my P4 Cervelo instead of the Transition (sold it last year)
*  Because of the ending climb, used a 404 on back(instead of disc) and 303 on the front
*  Went less than full gas on first half, which is a descent, to save for the uphill
*  Left the aero position, on the climb out, for the hoods….seated and standing
NOTE:  We had no aero clothes or helmets

Next time we go back, we will take aero clothes and road bikes (suggested by our friend Bird) and ride both bikes to check time differences.

I hope, first, you will identify A events in your life……whether you cycle or not.  Second, I hope you will prepare in a way that will allow you to be the best you can be.   Most of the time, we have only one shot on the 'stage in life'………prior dress rehearsals are a great thing.

See ya out there.

4 comments:

  1. Randall, Christina, good luck just think the races that you achieve PR's in the summer are actually done in training in January and February. Good luck to both of you look forward to hearing the results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scratch Bird's idea for road bikes. C reminded me we rode them the first year and got creamed……..were not even in the game. Then I remembered there were about 20 guys in my Cat and two of us on road bikes. Neither of us did any good. Also, Foundation Team was on road bikes last year….not in the game either. We will stick with TT's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another fascinating article, Randall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Practice Day 2 - 10:01/8:34 respectively in aero gear and great conditions.

    ReplyDelete