BIKE RACING AROUND THE WORLD

Monday, March 10, 2014

Feedback

Lou Tice, our mentor, taught us that humans are teleological in nature.   Now what the heck does that mean?  It means we are like guided missiles.  When we set a goal (a target) and launch, we need continuous feedback to keep us on a course to our target.   That feedback can come from a lot of sources.   The important thing is that we have awareness of this feedback, we accept it, and most of all, that we act on it.

Right now, the Maddog 83 missile is targeting the Tucson Bicycle Classic and one of the mid step goals, I have set, is to go to the line at race weight.  

I respect the folks on the Biggest Loser!  I watch it and really like it, but I have a different issue.  Three weeks ago, feedback indicated I needed to peel off about 5 pounds.   No problem, except for the fact that even before the loss, I am carrying single digit body fat.  This is not the first 5 pounds I want to lose, it is the LAST 5 pounds.  I can't weigh once a week like they do on TV.  I need massive feedback and I need it often.

So here is what is guiding me and helping watch every tidbit that is going in my mouth:

1.  Wedding ring fit…….when I am at race weight it slips on/off easily.  No need to lick the ring finger.

2.  Fave jeans -  Express, torn, ragged 12 year old faves…….they need to be pretty baggy…..maybe an inch too big at the waist when I get there.

3.  Abs - Look in that mirror.   The 4 pack becomes a 6 pack.

4.  Skin suit - no visible lumps or bumps.

5.  Love handles -  Can't pinch an inch…..only skin.

6.  The new Withings scale, attached to my iPhone…..measure weight at least once a day along with body fat.  Track trends against goals.   You can not ignore the data!

Ok, understand, about 20 guys will come to line next Friday for the ITT (Stage #1)
……one, maybe one, will weigh more than me.  I am really an old broken down linebacker in spandex.  I can't be small, but I can be as small as I can be.  And, always remember when you are climbing, 1 pound = 2 watts.

You have goals and I don't mean cycling goals…….. I mean life goals, career goals, relationship goals…….the stuff that REALLY matters.  Are you aware of the feedback that is available to you?   Are ready to accept it even when it is not what you want to hear or see?  Are you gathering the feedback often?  Are you taking action quickly?

You are a missile, find your power.

See ya out there.


No comments:

Post a Comment