BIKE RACING AROUND THE WORLD

Friday, March 21, 2014

Wearing the Yellow Jersey

This last weekend at The Tucson Bicycle Classic (TBC),  I found myself in an unfamiliar situation.   The race is a classic stage race format and my TT win on Friday, put me in the Yellow Jersey on Saturday.   Fortunately, my results on Saturday allowed me to continue to wear it on Sunday.

Let me be clear.   This was a really big a deal to me, but I realize it was the 65+ AG.   The TBC 65+ AG is not the Tour de France.  It is not a Cat 1 field.  There are a lot of things it is not.   However, I found something interestingly similar to these more 'important' levels of competition.

For years, I have listened to Phil Liggett and Paul Sherman do their commentary of the Tour.  Many times they have said that the Yellow Jersey changes a man.   I listened but could not really get my mind around what they were talking about until this weekend.  I really did not think much on the subject.

On Saturday morning at about 6:00 AM, I signed in at the race tent and signed for my Yellow Jersey.   After Christina pinned my number on (I was first off so she was helping me), I slid it on.   To be honest it was a very cheap garment and not nearly as nice as my Hincapie 'glow in the dark' Velocity Plus jersey.   It really did not fit very well and against my orange kit, the color looked hideous.  

As I warmed up, the sun was yet up.  I was carefully riding down the road, lined with cars on both sides, and it seemed people were looking more than usual??   There were several of these jerseys around because of all the categories, but it still seemed folks were taking note.   I heard my name accompanied by the words 'hey' or 'good luck'.

When I got to the line, there was easily a place for me…..no pushing or scrambling.  It was like the waters parted.   As the race progressed, I noticed people moved over for me…..let me in…..gave me 'right of way'.

Maybe all this was happening and maybe it was just in my head because I feeling like a different man.   I my mind, I had responsibilities and personal power.   I felt physically stronger and faster.  I was more sure of myself, but not cocky.  I have always ridden in the front third of the peleton but I spent 2 days, never less that 2nd wheel.  I felt comfortable and deserving of the jersey.  I felt I would ride in a manner that would assure that my competitors understood why I was in it.   I would, in a sense, bring honor to the jersey.   The depth of these feelings are complicated and confusing.  I am totally unable to articulate all of them.   I can just say, now, that I believe Phil and Paul…..the jersey does change the man, even a man in TBC 65+ category.

Who knows….maybe I am a legend in my own mind?  Maybe this is all a figment of my imagination??  Delusions of grandeur?

I wonder though, if this feeling has a shelf life……will it last?  Who knows?  What long term effects are there, if any?  Time will tell.

See ya out there.

1 comment:

  1. You wore it with the respect it deserved Randall ... and, you defended it like a man that should own it. Congrats to the "yellow jersey" and to the man that wore it!!

    Doug Perry TBC M65+ 2nd place (never have worn a yellow jersey)

    ReplyDelete