BIKE RACING AROUND THE WORLD

Thursday, April 10, 2014

La vuelta pequeña de España sur (The Little Tour of Southern Spain)

Some people go on vacation to escape.......from a boring place, bad weather or work.   I am pretty fortunate in that I don’t work, I live in two wonderful places and rarely experience anything other than great weather.   I  have found through the years, that I see things from a very different perspective when I am removed from normal surroundings and ‘on vacation’.  At times, I have done my best thinking while ‘away’, particularly since I started cycling.  Cycling for me is also a time for reflection so a cycling vacation can bring epiphanies or just subtle changes in thinking.  And, of course, sometimes neither....just some fun and exercise.

Years ago, our teacher, Lou Tice, conveyed to me that people do not really respond to things but experiences.  Even the things we acquire bring experiences.  He professed nobody really ever wanted a sports car.   They wanted the feeling/feelings the sports car gave them.

For me, Spain was all about feelings.

My very first day there, I was reminded of my beginnings in cycle: Some years ago, struggling up Caesar’s Head, I heard a gear shift behind me.  Much to my surprise, George Hincapie pulled along side me.   I was breathing hard but George easily spoke, “Hey Randall, how’s it going?”  I tried to get something out as he stood and disappeared in what seemed like only seconds.   In that brief moment, I could not help but notice his jersey, unzipped, was flapping in the wind.  This resulted from his 16-18 mph speed.  It looked like a cape and to me, he could have been Superman.   I wondered if I would ever know how it would feel to climb so effortlessly and powerfully?

Sure, the climbs in southern Spain are mostly Category 2 or 3.  As such, the grade is rarely over 5% and they are usually 20-30 minutes max.  So, it ain’t Caesar’s Head but we had warm days and I rode many with my jersey unzipped.  I was likely only going 10-12 mph.  Sometimes strong winds probably helped........MY jersey flapped and flapped.  I felt the power!  For those moments, I was Superman.

Discovery was up for me this trip also.   We were in a completely new place.  On day 6, I did 130K by myself and with little planning. I left thinking I would ride about 50K.  Slogging into the wind about 30K out, I was picked up by 7 sturdy Norwegians.   When we established that I spoke Spanish/English and at least 4 of them spoke Norwegian/English, we had a basis to communicate.  One wanted to know where I was going.  I proudly said, I was just out exploring and would ride with them, if OK.   Although, I never pulled while in the group, I earned my place when we stopped for lunch in small village and I managed ordering and paying with my language skills.   After about 50K with them, they took a turn to NE and home was SW so I waved and said good luck.  I wasn’t sure how far I was from home or how many mountains I needed to climb.  I knew I could climb whatever was in my path and every sight, sound, noise and smell would be a new experience.  Toward the end, I ran into Chris and Mike, a new arrival.  Chris helped me finish off 130K for my Strava Challenge.  I was on an adventure.  I WAS Ferris Buhler.

Day 7 was our crowning day.   We rode to Valencia and back, because we could.  Most bike riders can remember their first bike, and the freedom it represented.  The world got bigger immediately.  You could walk a few blocks, you could cycle much further.........going to places your parents did not even know about.   Even today, I have small child in me and he loves freedom.   Valencia was 210K round trip.   Prior to the trip,  I had only heard of it.  I had no idea I would ever go there as it was not on the trip agenda. It was a place that was ‘off my map’.  Chris and Helen know me though, and I think they threw this one in for me?  

Freedom: expanding your boundaries....going where you have never been......seeing things you have never seen......and yes even suffering in some ways you have never suffered.  That day, it was about doing all this with Andrew, Chris, Helen and Christina.  When we unclipped at our temporary home, Casa Maurana, Parcent, Helen was tearful.   She only displayed the emotions were all feeling.  We were all moved.  We hugged.  

I did not really go to Spain these last days.   I went to a place of power, discovery and freedom.   A person can probably find this anywhere if they are willing to look.  I am headed to Greenville right now in search of more wonderful experiences.


See ya out there.

1 comment:

  1. Good piece... I believe that once you are "going well", when you can dance on the pedals, spin efforlessly along the joy of riding strikes that chord of youth. That freedom.... that wow you had when you were a kid, whipping down a hill, the wind in your hair....even I had hair back then..........no worries (except of course the feet on the handlebars if you hit something).......

    Yesterday, Jim, Beth and I rode up in Dupont for a couple of hours being kids.... perfect day...nothing but fun.....here we are ... at 69, 62, and a youthful 56..... being kids... big smiles...no worries...

    We should all let that kid out......

    ReplyDelete