BIKE RACING AROUND THE WORLD

Monday, June 9, 2014

A Blue(Modry) Weekend

Christina and I had the pleasure of hosting 3 of our Modry team mates for the weekend.   The attraction was the State RR Championship on Saturday and a crit on Sunday at Greenville Pickens Speedway.

We had great results both days, really dominating the 50+ fields.  Despite rain on Sunday, we had a great morning and a lot of fun.  Christina garnering some results, was icing on the cake.

I have to be honest, I was pretty focused about my debut with the team.  They aren't the NY Yankees but they may be as close as I will ever get and this weekend seemed a little like 'tryouts', to me.   Chris Steele, Chris Dietrich and David Moore are bike racing fools.  It was the best team racing I have been part of…….we were joined by some other strong members Saturday, but Sunday it was the Fab Four.

The guys were great in their support of Christina, who despite many training interruptions lately, brought home 3rd place in Masters Women 30+ on Saturday and laid down a heck of an effort.  After making the break, she cracked on tough hill and rode about 25K solo.  The main field caught her about .5 K from the finish.  She mustered a strong sprint and was just exhausted.

The cycling was not the highlight this weekend, though.   We had great camaraderie, meals and a lot of talk about the future of the team.   These guys are wonderful people and we share a lot goals, aspirations, and values(about life, family and things in general).  As they spoke of the team next year, so many things were similar to what we expect out of a team experience.  I think this meant even more to us after coming away from last year, when we felt really out of step with many/most of our team mates.

The journey from last August, when we decided to leave TEAM headstrong until this weekend, has been a good one.   It has been confirmed that leaving was right for us.   I hope it has worked well for the wonderful folks that migrated to Greenville Velo.  I hope that the wind is always at their back.

Being on our own has been super………but being a part of something bigger than us, is really motivating.  As I have said before, I am team player and have been for about 57 years.  I have almost no experience in individual sports or individual anything.  Christina and I have supported each other strongly, but this was more and better.  She felt strongly about it also.

The guys have asked us to be part of their 2015 plans.   We don't know what those plans are, exactly, but we are sure we want to spend more time with this bunch.   So, barring them deciding to be a bowling team, we are looking forward to racing/riding/socializing and just generally being part of Modry.

Next weekend offers another opportunity for me to contribute.   We are headed to Fayetteville, NC for the NC State RR Championships.  I have already tightened my chinstrap.  I have the World's on Tuesday and a crit on Thursday, to make me ready.

C and I are already scheming about next year!  We hope to be part of making Big Blue better than ever.   For now, I can tell ya that we are already damned proud to be pinning numbers on with these guys.

Oh, C has some bold goals she formulating…....but you will have to talk to her about them.

See ya out there.















No comments:

Post a Comment