BIKE RACING AROUND THE WORLD

Sunday, June 15, 2014

TEAM = Modry Evergreen Masters Race Team

Look up the word 'team' in the dictionary and it says:  See Modry Evergreen Masters Race Team.   On the way home Saturday after the NC State Championship Race, Bird (Jon Limbird) and I discussed that many people have long years of experience on teams.   I said, "yes, some played pro soccer or college basketball…".  Bird's observation and comment was that the Modry guys start sentences with "WE" vs "I".

I met Lee Reavis and Michael Berry prior to the race.   We only exchanged a hand shake but I felt a certain warmth.  I looked into Lee's eyes and felt the welcome and respect.  It was the same feeling I have gotten from my other new team mates.

Riley allowed me to call the shots as far as bringing Bird in to race with us.   Peter Leousis was going to be formidable.  He had beaten me by about 4 minutes in the last 40K TT in which we competed.  I figured it was going to be 3 against 1 and Peter didn't know my name.   Maybe we could sneak up on him?  I was not intimidated.

We had the race totally under control and about 8 miles in, I over ran a wheel…flew into the dirt about 30 feet off the road...just an awful rookie move.   Riley and Bird were shaken and the pack slowed to see that I sat up.  I got in the wheel truck.  I knew my crash would wear on my team mates…Bird and I go back a long way.   I ask the driver to go up past the field so I could let them know I was OK but he wouldn't.   I got out at the start/finish.   Later, Bird dropped as his back was hurting, but I know my wreck was a factor.   I think Riley was negatively effected beyond my physical absence.  He told me later he felt like crap for not stopping…he did what he should have done.

I cleaned up my wounds at the ambulance and soon the 50-59 guys came by entering the bell lap.  David and Lee were off the front about 25 seconds and Chris Dietrich was second wheel, blocking.  I was setting under a tent, beat to crap, beaming with pride.   Shortly, came the 60+ finish and Peter was first.  Riley came in 4th, a pretty long way back.   He was very disappointed but Bird said that Riley had certainly earned his respect and I know Riley did all he could.  Without Bird and I, he was in gunfight with a knife and the same would have been true if it had been just me or Bird.

We waited and the 50-59 pack came charging up the road.   David and Lee had been reeled in but Chris Steele put on an amazing sprint off a Chris Dietrich lead out.  He won the 55+ NC State Championship.  Lee was 4th in the 50-54.  When I saw David at the car, I thought he could barely stand up.  His legs were shaking.  He had given the break his all and was last in the AG.  I couldn't have respected him more, if he had won.  As hurt as I was, I felt inspired by what they had done and that included Bird and Riley.

Soon they were all checking on me and offering their concern.  They knew how I felt!  When you've hit the deck, seeing your team mates concerned faces helps.

Despite our disappointing outcome in the 60+, we had another great Modry weekend.  I think we have some good racers individually but when you put us together, we are a lot more than good.   We are an awesome force and one to be reckoned with.  We are race makers.

I am planning on a rematch with Peter!

<<<<<<As far as me, see that place right there?   The one I am pointing to?  That is the place on me that is NOT sore.

See ya out there.


No comments:

Post a Comment