BIKE RACING AROUND THE WORLD

Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Tough Guy is Not So Tough This Time Around

When I was at A&M(1 Million Years BC),  I was tough as heck.  While I played varsity football there, I maybe missed 1 or 2 practices in 3 years.  I missed ZERO games.  I played 'hurt' most of the time.  I can remember setting alone in my room in tears, just thinking what I might be able to do if I could just be 'all well'.

In the years I spent in business with my partner Jim Landino, we said our most important attribute was that we showed up……no matter how bad things were.   We showed up.   We were tough guys.

Well, my latest tough guy test came at NC State RR.  As many of you know, I crashed with no one to blame but myself.  I knew I was hurt the second I pulled my face out of the dirt.  I took off on Sunday but Monday found me out for about 2 hours…. wrist brace, ibuprofen and bandages and all.  Once again, I was proving I was a tough guy, if to no one other than myself.

By Wednesday, I soloed a 131K ride for my June Strava 130K Granfondo Challenge.   No doubt, I overdid it.  Pain and exhaustion followed in the next days.  

On Saturday, our family vacation started.   Usually, I am leading the charge.  Our family consists mostly of folks who take a rest AFTER their vacation.  This year, I have not been able to hack it.  I am unable to mountain bike on single track, water ski, wake board or paddle board.  Oh sure, I have done a couple of 2 hour road rides on the MTBs and a short hike, but mostly the kids and grandkids are asking if they can help me…….  They are carrying and lifting things for me.  I am taking a lot of naps. I am struggling with feeling like I have aged ten years since our last vacation, one year ago.  Then, I mountain biked rugged single track for 3 hours and helped carry a small child over a mountain and back on a hike……..in the same day…..in 100 degree heat.

I have been here before and come back.  I will come back again. Maybe just not as fast as a tough guy would like?

Right now, I am working on being less physically tough and more mentally tough.   I am working on enjoying my family more in a cheerleader role than a leader role………..I am a fortunate guy.

My granddaughter, Aly, ask me what it felt like to 'have created' this group.   Answer:  GOOD, VERY GOOD.  I love this team more than life itself.

See ya out there.

Oh, I almost forgot….here is the Totally Radical Slalom Skiing Grandmother Dude!   She's holding up the Grandparents on this vacation.   And, I did a paddle board run this morning so maybe I am not ready for the grave, yet?


  

1 comment:

  1. Although we don't bounce as high nor as fast as we did when we were young, we still bounce back. Take it easy, rest up, give it a bit of time. That was a bad crash. See you on the road or dirt real soon.

    ReplyDelete